These instructions will guide you through troubleshooting connectivity issues with your Broadband DSL modem using Windows XP. After reading this document, you may want to copy and save it in a safe place for future reference.
Before continuing, if you are currently able to access the Internet, you can check the PenTeleData Network Status page to see if there are any outages that may affect your internet access.
Resetting Your Broadband DSL Modem
1. Turn your computer off, disconnect the power from your router (if applicable), then disconnect the power from the back of the DSL modem.
2. Wait approximately 2 minutes.
3. Reconnect the power to the back of the DSL modem.
4. Your Broadband DSL modem's status LEDs should begin to flash when completing the connection of your Broadband DSL modem. Within a few minutes the DSL modem should be ready to connect.
5. After the DSL modem is ready to connect, plug in the power to your router (if applicable), and then turn on your computer. After your computer has reached the desktop and is done loading try connecting to the Internet.
Creating a New Connection
1. Click "Start", then click on "Control Panel". The "Control Panel" window will now open.
Note: If you do not see "Control Panel", click on "Settings", and then choose "Control Panel".
2. Double-click on "Internet Options", as shown on the right.
Note: If you do not see an "Internet Options" icon, click on "Switch to Classic View" on the left side of the window. Your screen should now resemble the window on the right.
3. The "Internet Properties" window will now open. Click on the "Connections" tab, as shown on the right.
4. Next, click the "Setup" button, as shown on the right.
5. The "Welcome to the New Connection Wizard" window will now appear. Click "Next" to begin the wizard.
6. On this screen place a dot in front of "Connect to the Internet" as shown in the window on the right and click "Next" to continue.
7. Next, place a dot in front of "Set up my connection manually", as shown in the window on the right and click 'Next" to continue.
8. On this screen, place a dot in front of "Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password", as shown in the window on the right and click "Next" to continue.
9. You will now be asked to type a name for your connection. Simply type "My DSL" (without the quotes) and click "Next" to continue.
Note: If you are using Windows XP Home Edition, proceed directly to Step 11.
10. You will now be asked if you would like to make this new connection available for all users on your PC. This is a matter of personal preference – place a dot in front of your choice and click "Next" to continue.
11. You will now be asked to enter the username and password for your Broadband DSL Service:
If your Broadband DSL Service is provided by Palmerton Telephone Company:
Enter your username followed by "@ptelco-dsl" (without the quotes) in the "User name" field.
If your Broadband DSL Service is provided by Ironton Telephone Company:
Enter your username followed by "@itcdsl" (without the quotes) in the "User name" field.
After you have entered your username, enter your password in the “Password” field. Re-enter your password in the “Confirm password” field.
Note: User names and passwords are case sensitive. Please be certain that your capitalization is correct.
Click "Next" to continue.
12. You have now completed the New Connection Wizard. Click "Finish".
If you are still unable to access the Internet at this point, please contact Technical Support at (800) 281-3564.