Personal Web Space FAQ
This document will provide you with an introduction to all of the features of PenTeleData's Personal Web Space in a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) format. For anyone who is interested in taking full advantage of their Personal Web Space, this is the beginners guide for you.
- Can I create my personal web page in Microsoft Front Page?
- I have a residential account with PenTeleData and want to access my Personal Storage Space while I am out of town and connected through another Internet provider. Can I do this?
- I have another question about my personal web space that was not answered here. How can I get additional help?
- I uploaded my files to my Personal Storage Space but I cannot view the files over the Internet. Now what?
- How do I create a personal web page? Can you get me started?
- I already have an FTP program, how do I set it up to upload my personal web page files?
- What is Personal Storage Space?
- How do I know how much space my personal web page is occupying on your server?
- How do I access my personal web page once it has been uploaded? What is the URL?
- What software does PenTeleData recommend to upload my personal web page files?
- I have several PenTeleData email addresses. Which address is allowed to have a personal web page?
- I am currently a PenTeleData customer; do I get a personal web page?
- How can PenTeleData Technical Support help me with my personal web page?
- How big can my personal web page be?
- Am I allowed to use CGI, PHP, or any other active scripting on my personal web page?
- What are the guidelines for acceptable content on my personal web page?
Yes. However you will need a separate FTP application to upload your personal web page. Microsoft Front Page already has the ability to upload your web page through the use of Front Page Extensions. However, residential accounts do not have the ability to use this feature. Commercial customers can choose to have their web site hosted on a server that will support Front Page Extensions.
I have a residential account with PenTeleData and want to access my Personal Storage Space while I am out of town and connected through another Internet provider. Can I do this?
No. To provide additional security for your account, you are only allowed to access your Personal Storage Space when you are directly connected to the PenTeleData network.
I have another question about my personal web space that was not answered here. How can I get additional help?
You can also call our Technical Support Department. Technical Support will attempt to answer any questions related to your personal web space that were not covered here.
I uploaded my files to my Personal Storage Space but I cannot view the files over the Internet. Now what?
Listed below are some common mistakes that new users occasionally make. Please refer to the list below for some of the more common problems you may encounter after uploading your personal web page:
- The address you are trying to view has been stored in your "Temporary Internet Files."
- Press the "Refresh" or "Reload" button in your web browser to ensure you are viewing the most current page.
- You do not have an "index.html" file in your "public_html" folder.
- Your personal web page files were not placed in the "public_html" folder.
- Files names are case-sensitive, please be sure you are entering your file names correctly. It is also advisable to avoid spaces in your file name. Different web browsers (i.e. Netscape or Internet Explorer) will treat the names differently.
Please keep in mind that Technical Support can only assist you in the uploading of your personal web files. They cannot assist you in the creation or trouble-shooting of your HTML code.
We do not offer Technical Support for the creation of your personal web page. However, we have created a brief tutorial to get you started. The tutorial explains some common HTML commands and can assist a new user in the creation of a simple web page.
We have created instructions that will guide you through this process.
Personal Storage Space is the space allocated to you for storing your personal web page(s), eBay pictures, and/or files on our servers.
You can check the statistics of your Personal Storage Space by pointing your web browser to http://www.ptd.net/ and clicking on the "Account Management" link located on the right hand side of the page. You will be required to provide the username and password for the account you wish to check.
The URL for your personal web page is http://home.ptd.net/~username (where "username" is the full-access account name which you used earlier in these instructions).
We recommend a program called "WS_FTP Home" for Windows users, and a program called "Fetch" for Macintosh users, due to their ease of use. "WS_FTP Home" and "Fetch" can be downloaded from http://www.download.com.
Any Full Access or primary account name is permitted to have a personal web page. Services included with your PenTeleData account.
Yes. Each residential PenTeleData Full Access Dial-Up, High-speed DSL, and High-speed cable customer is given a personal web page on our servers. Each residential account has 1 GB of complimentary disk space allocated for Personal Storage Space. Anything over the 1 GB will be billed at a rate of $.05 per MB per each additional megabyte of storage, per month. Personal web pages are not for business use.
PenTeleData Technical Support will guide you through PenTeleData's online support section or assist you with the uploading of your personal web page files to the correct account. Technical Support cannot assist you in the actual creation of your personal web page.
Included with your PenTeleData service, PenTeleData will provide you with web hosting and 1 GB of Personal Storage Space (PSS). PenTeleData realizes that you may need more than 1 GB of storage; therefore PenTeleData does not limit your disk space storage to 1 GB. All users may store as much information as they wish. Users that average more than 1 GB per month will be billed at a rate of $.05 per MB per each additional megabyte of storage, per month. As a courtesy, PenTeleData will make an effort to notify you when you are nearing your complimentary 1 GB of Personal Web Space.
No. Only Commercial accounts are permitted to use CGI, PHP, or other active scripting on their web pages.